(Post 3/4 of the it’s been a year series)
I was pondering all the things I still need to learn in regards to this homestead lifestyle and it dawned on me to do a post on the 37 basic skills one should have/acquire to get you started. (That number is based on the 20 minutes I gave Myself to ramble.)
This is in no particular order:
3. Maintain Tools
4. Building. At the very least a “box” preferably with a slightly pitched roof.
5. Home Security…
6. Chickens. Pick breed(s). Brooder and equipment to raise chicks. Choose feed &/or make your own. Process a chicken.
7. ¿Rabbits, cows, goats, sheep? … How to raise, feed, harvest.
8. Knots. How to tie and use an assortment of knots.
9. Fencing. At least how to install t-post with some form of fencing material.
10. Make your own body products. Aside from better for you will also save you money. (Deodorant, toothpaste, lotion, body butter, laundry detergent, etc)
11. Food Preservation. Canning, freezing, dehydrating, and fermenting.
12. Sewing. Knitting. Crocheting
13. PLANTS. How to grow from seeds or cuttings. Transplants. When and where to plant. Saving seeds.
14. Soils/Compost (hot and cold, vermi, bins, tumblers, or in place)
15. Garden bed prep
16. Bread. (Cooking in general) How to make your own because healthier and will save you a lot of money, which you will need.
17. Live within your means and get out of debt.
18. Disaster Prep. There is a lot that goes with this but I was thinking go bags and basic food storage (72 hours, 1 month, 3 month, 6 months, 1 year)
19. Basic first-aid and cpr
20. Know your local ordinances as it pertains to what you are trying to do.
21. Hunt/Fish. How to properly clean and prepare for you or your animals consumption.
22. How to throw a fun and productive work party.
23. Cooking off grid. Solar, Cobb oven, rocket stove, or any other that tickles your fancy or will help you survive.
24. Install and use a Clothesline
25. Basic mechanics to fix stuff
26. Duh… Bees. Everything bees from attracting, catching,housing, harvesting, enjoying the harvest.
27. Plant/tree id.
28. Water!!! Wells. Catchment systems. Pond. How to purify. How retain it in your soil so you have to water plants less.
29. Knives… How to use. Sharpen. I guess this actually just goes with tools. Know what to use when and how to properly use and maintain it.
30. STAY WARM IN WINTER
31. Holistic Approach to everything.
32. Mosquitos. Minimize. Natural repellants. Proper clothing
33. How to build a bat house
34. Make your own greenhouse
35. Tree selection. planting. Care
36. Animal Training
37. Know your limitations.
38. HOW TO READ